Plans and Elevations; front cover detail
Plans and Elevations; inside cover detail - Ben Kelly
Contributions come from such luminaries as AHW, Peter Saville, Paul Mason of Factory, Sir Hugh Casson, clothes retailer (and ex-Mr Lynne Franks) Paul Howie, photographer Tony McGee, Keith Wainwright of Smile, the late Fred Scott, Geoff Hollington (the latter two are product designers) and Kevin Godley, once of 10cc.
The book is in 4 sections. They are:
1. From Appletreewick To The Worlds End
2. International Orange
3. All along the dotted line
4. The Hacienda Must Be Built
1. The Art Bar at the RCA, done in 1973 with fellow student Geoff Hollington.
2. Seditionaries, King's Road 1977/78 for Malcolm McLaren.
3. The Photo Kid, RCA project 1972 (all these from chapter 1).
4. Howie shopfront for Paul Howie, Floral St WC2 1977 (note perforated door, later used as the motif for the 1st OMD album).
5. Quincy clothes shop (an offshoot of Jones on Floral St), Dean St W1 1987.
6. Smile hair salon, King's Rd 1983 (all from chapter 2).
7. House conversion for Lynne Franks and Paul Howie 1989 (he later did out Franks's office on Harrow Rd circa 1992.
8. Top, bathroom conversion for Kevin and Sue Godley in Surrey. Middle and bottom, bedroom and bathroom conversion for Lulu and John Frieda in Hampstead, all 1985.
9. Shard Mirror by BKD for the Alma Furniture Company, 1987.
10. Ben at 40, a stool with legs designed by the three other BKD partners (at the time), Elena Massucco, Peter Mance and Sandra Douglas. A present for his 40th birthday, 1989.
11. Record covers by ACR, Boomtown Rats, RPM, S25 and UB40.
12. Record covers by Boomtown Rats, Godley and Creme, The Cure, ACR and Joy Division (Ben claims credit cos P Saville "appropriated" his thesis cover for the design....). All of the above from chapter 3.
13. Fac 51 montage.
14. Fac 201 details both from chapter 4, which also features axonometric drawings of Fac 251, but no pics, obviously.
Printed by ADT Press in 1990
Edited by Catherine McDermott
Designed by Jonathan Moberly
Art Direction by Peter Saville Associates
Many thanks to Andrew James for scans and info.